Friday, August 26, 2016

Welcome to Odyssey

If you’ve scrolled through Facebook any time in the past year or so, you’ve probably seen at least one or two articles with the URL “theodysseyonline.com” Maybe you’ve read a few, maybe you’ve even shared a few. But have you ever stopped to think about what Odyssey really is?

I can most certainly answer those questions for you, as I am the Editor in Chief of ONU’s Odyssey team. Odyssey started as an idea by former college student Evan Burns, who realized that the media only targets and shares the stories that they think people want to read. He wanted to create a platform where people, specifically millennials, can write and read and discuss topics that are truly important to them—not just something someone else thought they cared about. Thus, Odyssey was born, and soon enough the site was gaining around 60 million page views each month.

One of the most unique parts about Odyssey is that each article that you see was written by someone not unlike yourself—mostly average college students. Odyssey has over 600 communities across the country filled with team members that are passionate about all kinds of different topics. Each team member, or “Creator”, submits one article per week and shares it all across social media with the hopes that people will read it and share it across the nation. People do go viral sometimes, but even when an article only gets ten shares, their writing is still reaching hundreds and hundreds of people, which is pretty incredible. Plus, despite the amount of shares an article receives, all Creators are writing about whatever they want to write about, which means they have the opportunity of sharing their passions.


Odyssey is a social media platform that aims to revolutionize the way that stories are told online, and you can be a part of it. If any of the above information sparked an interest in you, please do not hesitate to request an invite onto our team here at ONU! If you have any questions regarding Odyssey, feel free to ask me at any time. I am always willing to help! I hope that you consider joining us in this amazing opportunity!


2 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I am glad you shared the background of this website! I have read multiple articles on this website and I am always in awe of how well written they are! The best is when I read an article written by someone I know! I am never disappointed after reading an article on Odyssey and I am very grateful for the articles that I read from people with opinions and ideas different than mine. I believe that sometimes people get too much into the routine of believing whatever other people tell them, which I am guilty of at times as well. Reading and indulging in these other opinions really helps me to see other sides of different issues and grow as a person. I hope to read some of your articles some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I appreciate that! If you are ever interested in joining our team here at ONU, let me know! :)

      Delete